Located at 610 Texas Avenue, the SUSLA Metro Center occupies nearly 50% of the office building, housing computer labs, allied health labs, classrooms, academic and administrative offices, a media production studio, the Southern University Museum of Art at Shreveport, and a compressed video distance-learning classroom.
The building is an example of turn-of-the-century urban commercial architecture and consists of two structures. The six-story red brick building was built in 1919 by the Jacobs family as office space. The adjoining four-story building, known as the Barrett Building, was constructed in 1929 by a Little Rock, Arkansas department store for use as a ladies' specialty fashion store. In 1982 the two buildings were combined and renovated to create the existing structure which now contains approximately 70,000 square feet. In 1992, the building was given the DSU Award for Preservation of Historic Architectural Buildings in Downtown Shreveport, Louisiana.
Southern University at Shreveport
610 Texas Street
Shreveport, LA 71101