A transfer student is defined as someone who enrolls at the university for the first time who has previously attended another postsecondary institution. The following requirements must be submitted in order to receive an admission decision.
- APPLICATION. Each applicant is required to complete an online application for admission for the desired semester. The application can be found at the institution’s website at www.susla.edu/futurestudents/
- Transfer students who have attended other institutions of higher learning since graduating from high school must submit official college and/or military transcripts from ALL institutions attended.
- Re-admit Transfer (former) students enrolled at another school since last enrolled at the institution are required to submit official college and/or military transcripts from ALL institutions attended since last enrolled at SUSLA.
College transcripts are considered official when the original transcript is issued to Southern University @ Shreveport Admissions or Registrar’s Office via mail or approved electronic transmission.
Failure to acknowledge attendance at each school in which the student has been enrolled is subject to dismissal from the University.
- IMMUNIZATION RECORD is required for ALL students born after 1956 for proof of immunization or immunity to measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus/diphtheria, and meningitis. This policy applies to all students entering the institution for the first time and all students returning after an absence of one semester or more.
- APPLICATION FEE. A non-refundable fee of $20.00 is required of ALL students to process the application for admission. The application fee can be paid online when submitting your application, or it can be mailed in the form of a money order or cashier’s check.
PROVISIONAL ADMISSION FOR TRANSFER STUDENTS
Provisional admission may be granted to transfer students who are currently enrolled based on official “in progress” transcripts, if the other required documents are received. Official transcripts should be received by the 14th class day of the semester in which the student was admitted provisionally. Failure to comply within this timeframe subjects the student to administrative withdrawal from the University or the student may not be permitted to attend the subsequent semesters.
Students on probation at other Louisiana institutions will be granted probationary admission. To remove probation, the student must achieve at least a 2.0 grade point average during the first semester at Southern University at Shreveport.
Students granted provisional admissions are not eligible for financial aid.
ACCEPTANCE OF TRANSFER SEMESTER CREDIT HOURS
- Transfer coursework earned from colleges and universities accredited by the regional accrediting associations are accepted by the University.
- All transfer coursework will be noted on the student’s academic record. Transfer credit will be given for those courses in which a grade of "C" or better is achieved. No credit will be given for grades of "D" or below, or for "remedial or developmental courses".
- Evaluation of transcripts for credit will not be performed prior to the receipt of a completed application, with admission fee, and official transcripts from each college and university attended, and immunization record.
- The Office of Admissions will perform articulation of transfer coursework on official transcripts received at least 30 days prior to the beginning of the semester. Transcripts received within 30 days of the start of the semester will be articulated on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Transfer credits accepted by the Office of Admission are subject to final review and determination of the extent to which credit hours will be applied toward a degree by the Division Chair of the College offering the degree/certificate.
- All transfer coursework can be viewed on the student’s Banner Web.
TRANSFER CREDIT APPEAL
Applicants who wish to appeal a transfer credit decision must apply to the Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs within 30 days after notification of acceptance of transfer credit hours. No transfer credit will be accepted past the established 30-day provisional period.
Priority Application Deadlines. The Office of Admissions strives to process admission applications between 7 to 10 business days after receipt of all required admission documents. To meet this goal, the following admission application deadlines are in placed to ensure priority processing:
Fall Semester - July 1st
Summer Sessions - April 1st
Spring Semester - November 1st
Records submitted become the property of the University and will not be returned. Falsification of any information when applying for admission may result in the denial of admission or dismissal from the University. The registration of any student whose admission records are incomplete fourteen (14) days after the first day of classes may be automatically canceled with no refund of fees.
[Admissions Office Home]