Director of Bands
Reposted Date: July 11, 2014
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Director of Bands. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
• Direct all Bands to include planning, implementing, and conducting the new Marching Band, Pep Band, Community Band, and Symphonic Band; and teach marching band techniques
• Serve as liaison to the Athletics department, as well as work to cultivate positive relationships with students, athletics staff, university administration, high school band directors, and community members
• Operational responsibilities include: planning, managing, and executing a comprehensive recruiting process working in concert with the Director of Recruitment
• Facility and inventory management, event planning, scheduling, and execution; concert scheduling, planning, production, marketing, and audience development
• Travel planning and execution
• General administration of the Band Program, budget planning, administration, and oversight; student staff recruiting, hiring, training, and supervision
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Master’s Degree in Music or related filed from a regionally accredited institution required; Doctorate preferred
• Minimum of five (5) years professional experience
• Demonstrated ability to work with computer hardware and software
• Ability to manage multiple projects concurrently; strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
• Must be available for some evening and weekend work, and available to travel several times throughout the year
• Must be able to perform some light physical work as needed
Candidates must show a documented record of excellence in directing a marching band at the high school or college level (preference will be given to candidates who have college experience), as well as a documented record of excellence in marching band drill design.
Salary range: $50,000 – $55,000
This is a full time position.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, official transcript(s), and three reference letters to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Friday, July 18, 2014 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Ms. Linda Hines, Fine Arts Building, Room C01, (318) 670-9480. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Rubie Scere, Johnny L. Vance Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 212, (318) 670-9473.
Equal Opportunity Employer