Program: Dental Hygiene
Degree Type: Associate Degree
The Dental Hygiene program of Southern University at Shreveport awards an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Dental Hygiene. The student will learn to perform clinical services that contribute to the maintenance of good oral health.
The student will learn to perform clinical services that contribute to the maintenance of good oral health. Skills are developed to provide dentists with the aid which will allow them more time for the treatment of patients. The program's offerings include learning experiences from a variety of disciplines to provide a diverse foundation for science and dental hygiene.
The Dental Hygiene program offers clinical instruction in its educational program as required by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association. Admissions are determined annually during the Spring Semester. Admission to the program is by competitive application.
- Obtain application form for the dental hygiene program and complete by March 31st of the year admission is sought.
- Arrangements must be made to have official transcripts sent by each college attended. These should be sent directly to the dental hygiene program by March 31st of the year in which admission to the program is sought.
- A personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee is required.
- Two confidential recommendations on the forms provided, submitted directly to the Dental Hygiene program. At least one recommendation by one of applicants’ instructors.
- Student must complete a minimum of 15 semester credit hours at Southern University at Shreveport. No exceptions will be made to this regulation.
- Student must have earned a minimum of a 2.8 uncorrected cumulative grade point average (4.0 scale) in all previous college course work.
- Student must have earned a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average (4.0 scale) in the required science courses for the program.
- All selections will be made following the end of the Spring semester, once each year.
- Students admitted to the dental hygiene program will be bound by all rules and regulations set forth by Southern University at Shreveport and the Dental Hygiene Program. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the program.
- An official copy of the candidate’s scores on the Allied Health Professions Admission Test. Information and applications for this exam may be obtained from The Psychological Corporation, 555 Academic Court, San Antonio, TX 78204-2498, telephone 210-339-5000 or from the Dental Hygiene Department.
- Completion of BIOL 200, 215, 220, 222; CHEM 130 courses within the 5 years prior to the semester of application to the dental hygiene program.
- Completion of the following prerequisite courses by the termination of the Spring semester during which application is made to the dental hygiene program. Grade of “C” or better is required in these courses:
Please see your advisor or University Catalog for more information.