HIT & Medical Coding Specialist Mission Statement
Dedicated to quality education and the advancement of best practices in a fostering learning environment which develops technical competencies, critical-thinking, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills that prepare graduates for entry level positions as competent and skilled professionals in a global health information management industry.
It is the philosophy of the program to:
- Offer a curriculum that meets the needs of our communities of interest by preparing students to meet entry-level national competencies.
- Provide students with hands-on-experience, simulating a healthcare setting utilizing up-to-date technology.
- Challenge students and department faculty to maintain high standards of ethical and professional behavior which support the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) Code of Ethics.
- Prepare graduates who will qualify for employment in a healthcare setting at the level of supervisor, coding specialist, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) coordinator, and/or other related positions.
- Maintain an academic program with a knowledgeable, qualified, and nurturing faculty.
- Offer didactic instruction utilizing a variety of instructional methodologies conducive to access and success from both a traditional and non-traditional student perspective.
Inspire students to commit to life-long learning and ethical values while also promoting service with integrity and honor as competent and skilled professionals in the health information management industry.