Review of applications begins Wednesday, July 18, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Custodian 2 position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Custodian 2 is to routinely perform manual tasks in maintaining the cleanliness, sanitary conditions, and appearance of Southern University at Shreveport main campus and Downtown Metro.
- Cleans bathrooms, offices, hallways, and any other assigned areas by sweeping, mopping, scrubbing, and polishing.
- Empties and decontaminates trash containers.
- Disposes of infectious waste when assigned.
- Moves, rearranges, and dusts furniture and fixtures.
- Mixes or blends routine cleaning solutions to proper concentrations as necessary for various tasks.
- Cleans and waxes floors using industrial-size mops and/or machines.
- Strips and polishes floors using buffing machines.
- Washes blinds, windows, and walls with prescribed solutions.
- Sweeps sidewalks, porches, and tiled surfaces.
- Operates wet/dry vacuum for cleaning and shampooing carpeted areas.
- Maintains equipment; reports needs for painting and minor building or equipment repair to supervisor.
- Reports safety hazards to supervisor.
- Waters plants, and performs other related duties on the grounds when assigned.
- Performs custodial related duties necessary to maintain cleanliness and sanitary conditions.
- Performs many varied custodial tasks necessary for the upkeep of buildings and grounds.
- Six months of experience in custodial, housekeeping, or food service work
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
- Ability to move heavy furniture, must be able to lift a minimum of 50 lbs., lifting large garbage.
Applications may be filed online at the LA CIVIL SERVICE website.
Quiana B. Skidmore
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.