Director of the Williams Center for Undergraduate Achievement
Deadline: Review of applications begins Thursday, June 7, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Director of the Williams Center for Undergraduate Achievement. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Reporting to the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Success, the Director of the Williams Center for Undergraduate Achievement is responsible for providing leadership and implementation of SUSLA’s Minority Male and Community Foundation Career Compass initiatives focused on student success strategies for targeted at-risk populations. Specific duties are:
- Coordinates and maintains the daily functions and activities of these projects
- Plans, develops and implements program recruitment activities to secure a predetermined number of eligible participants
- Collaborates with the SUSLA Advancement and Marketing Department to brand/promote the initiative
- Collaborates with the SUSLA Advancement/Marketing and Sponsored Program departments to secure external funding for the program, including the writing of external grants and proposals
- Plans, develops and implements the academic/student support, guidance and advisement activities of the project, including career and social issues
- Monitors the academic success of program participants and adjust program strategies accordingly
- Monitors and manages all financial activities for the project
- Establishes and cultivates partnerships aimed at nurturing, enhancing and growing the program financially and strategically
- Serves on various civic committees
- Maintains department budget; provide staff leadership; develop a process for responding effectively and efficiently to the needs of internal and external university clients
- Creates a work environment conducive to teamwork and creative thinking
- Creates, evaluates, and maintains metrics for assessing the effectiveness and outcomes of the Williams Center for Undergraduate Achievement
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of trends in student success and at-risk students within a higher education environment
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in educational administration, public administration, social work, counseling, psychology, sociology or a closely related field
- Minimum of three (3) years administrative or management experience in education, social support services or related field
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with both volunteers and professional staff
- Organizational and managerial skills with respect to complex, sensitive issues
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Strong communication (written and verbal), organizational and interpersonal skills, and a collaborative approach to working with students, colleagues and partners
- Eligibility for a Louisiana Driver's License
$50,000 – $55,000
Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: Director of the Williams Center for Undergraduate Achievement Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.