Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Educational Specialist position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Educational Specialist is responsible for identifying and selecting participants; developing participant education plans, collecting and compiling data to demonstrate eligibility and delivery of service. This includes coordinating all aspects of the Educational Specialist role and working collectively with other related partnership programs as needed.
This position assists in the evaluating, planning and coordinating of participant educational plans.
- Develop and implement participant education plans.
- Provide information on continuing secondary and postsecondary education programs such as financial aid and college admissions programs.
- Conduct workshops at assigned community partner sites.
- Compile documentation of counseling services and other program activities.
- Submit weekly accountability reports
- Travel required; must be willing to drive university-leased vehicles; some evening work required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have a Master’s degree in Guidance and Counseling, Education, or related field from an accredited university.
- Three years specific knowledge or experience in academic advising, career counseling, and educational assistance programs: financial aid, admissions, and enrollment
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of ethics in data collection and analysis
- Strong presentation skills; technical knowledge required
- Work experience in TRiO programs
Salary Range: 35,000-37,000 (This is a full time position)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Educational Specialist” Vacancy Southern University at Shreveport 3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive Shreveport, LA 71107 HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Educational Specialist” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday, July 5, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.