YouthBuild Site/Vocational Instructor
Deadline: Review of applications begins Tuesday, April 3, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the position of Youth Build Site / Vocational Instructor. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
- Become a certified National Center of Construction Education and Research Instructor.
- Conduct educational classes teaching construction-related skills, including: framing, demolition, interior work, identification of the proper tools and materials utilizing the NCCER curriculum as a foundation.
- Support the Construction Manager by supervising and coordinating all aspects of the construction training component order to meet program goals and objectives.
- Monitor, review and verify participants’ daily attendance in all vocational classes.
- Assist in the evaluation of student knowledge and skills in construction; evaluate, document and report student progress and skill development.
- Participate in the development of a project-bases curriculum.
- Help to set standards for appropriate behavior and ways to handle problems on the construction site.
- Ensures all students receive appropriate OSHA and CPR/First Aid training; teach safety procedures and proper construction techniques.
- Employ an interdisciplinary approach in teaching construction by integrating education, counseling, leadership and mentoring activities into training; assist in participant personal and vocation counseling/development of employment readiness skills.
- Identify private contractors/developers who are interested in collaborative partnerships with Youth Build and whom are willing to work with young people as trainees.
- Participate as part of the management team in program planning and decision making, attend staff meetings, keeping the manager informed of the progress, problems and needs of the classroom lab.
- Assist in maintaining a system to track participant’s progress and assess their skills and abilities in construction.
- Engage in professional growth opportunities to remain current with trends, demands, and issues pertaining to community and workforce development initiatives.
- Assist in the development of job opportunities for trainees in conjunction with other members of Youth Build, and were appropriate assist trainees in setting career goals.
- Assist in the active recruitment of participants for the program.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- Some evening and weekend work may be required.
- Some travel may be required.
- Successful completion of a postsecondary vocational or technical program directly related to construction/carpentry or a demonstrate a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in carpentry work.
- Must be a self-starter, organized, ethical and dependable
- Must possess basic writing and oral skills.
Send cover letter, resume, official transcript(s), and three reference letters to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.