Veterans Upward Bound
Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) is a program funded by the U.S. Department of Education. The mission of the program is to generate the skills and motivation necessary to complete a program of secondary education and to enter and succeed in a program of postsecondary education. Veterans in Region 7 of Northwest Louisiana include Bienville, Bossier, Caddo, Claiborne, DeSoto, Natchitoches, Red River, Sabine, and Webster Parishes can receive services provided by the Veterans Upward Bound program.
• Academic Assistance to help you identify your academic strengths and weaknesses
Instruction in basic academic skills - reading, writing, math, science, foreign languages, and computer literacy
• Academic tutoring on-line
• Assistance in obtaining GED diploma, if needed
• ACT and other entrance exam application and preparation assistance
Workshops on study skills and college survival issues.
• Completing of college enrollment and admissions forms
• Retrieving academic transcripts (military and college)
• ACT test registration
• Researching various schools' admissions policies and criteria
• Researching programs of study and coursework
• Assistance with registration of classes
Financial Aid Counseling
• Completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) both manually or using FAFSA Express computerized software for faster processing
• Understanding various financial aid options available including:
Subsidized Student Loans
Unsubsidized Student Loans
Montgomery G.I. Bill
Federal Work Study
• Completing school-specific documentation for financial aid
• Retrieving financial aid transcripts from previously attended institutions
Applying for special circumstances to justify financial aid for those who may have been denied based upon non-current data career assessments that help you match your skills, talents, and ambitions to careers that are available to you
• Career assessments that help you match your skills, talents, and ambitions to careers that are available to you
• Workshops on training opportunities and specific careers
• Exposure to labor market information including salary levels, job requirements, and qualifications/educational level necessary.
The VUB program also provides student support services, financial advising & payment for college testing and application fees for Veterans who qualify. Veterans Upward Bound program eligibility consists of Veterans who have an honorable separation from service, are either low-income or first-generation, and have an academic need.