Specialist- Veterans Upward Bound
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Thursday, April 1, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Specialist of Veterans Upward Bound SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Specialist of Veterans Upward Bound (VUB) Responsible for developing participant education plans and conducting activities to fully implement this plan; Reports to the project director; provides information on postsecondary programs and the direct assistance to participants who are interested in pursuing postsecondary education. Responsible for collecting and compiling participant data to demonstrate eligibility and service delivery. Responsible for retaining Veterans in the program. Other duties as assigned by the Director.
- Responsible for developing participant education plans and conducting activities to fully implement this plan
- Responsible for assisting veterans with securing support from veteran’s agencies
- Responsible for providing information on postsecondary programs and the direct assistance to participants who are interested in pursuing postsecondary education
- Collect and compile participant data to demonstrate eligibility and service delivery
- Reports to the Director of VUB
- Performs other duties as assigned
- High School or Associate with 5 years of Administrative, career counseling or educational assistance experience, technical support plus
- Associate degree in Counseling and Guidance or related field or disciplines preferred
- Minimum of 3 years specific knowledge or experience in GI benefits, veterans’ services, educational assistance programs such as financial aid, and admissions; Veteran Preferred
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Power Point, Excel required
- Veteran with 5 or more years of administrative experience for educational advancement
Salary Range is $28,500- $30,000
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Specialist Veterans Upward Bound” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Specialist Veterans Upward Bound” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday, April 1, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.