Academic Advisor (SU College Connect) - 3 Vacancies
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Tuesday, December 14, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Academic Advisor position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Academic Advising Specialist is responsible for working in collaboration with other campus based Connect staff including faculty and students to ensure academic success of Connect students. This includes ensuring students understand the parameters of the Connect program and assist in decision making regarding declaring and/or changing majors and providing guidance in transfers to four-year programs.
- Work in collaboration with other campus based Connect staff including faculty and students to ensure academic success of Connect students.
- Ensure students understand the parameters of the Connect program and assist in decision making regarding declaring and/or changing majors and providing guidance in transfers to four-year programs.
- Coordinate all academic advisement for students facing challenges with Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) for financial aid purposes.
- Schedule courses for new and continuing students
- Assist with the admissions, registration, and transfer processes for Connect students
- Accurately prepare/maintain records and reports of student contacts and semester summaries both electronically and printed
- Analyze data regarding academic performance of advisees
- Effectively establish rapport with Connect program faculty, staff and students
- Apply student development and career development theories
- Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Two (2) years academic advising experience in an educational and/or university setting with a diverse student population
- Knowledge of instructional technology, including that related to on-line courses
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Master’s degree
- Administrative experience in Higher Education
- Fundamental knowledge of University degree requirements along with state and federal regulations governing higher education.
Salary Range is $45,000- $50,000
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Quiana B. Skidmore, Interim Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “ Academic Advisor (SU Connect)” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Academic Advisor (SU Connect)” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday January 20, 2022 and continues until the position is filled
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Fine Arts Building, Room C14, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.