Assistant Professor of History
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Thursday, June 17, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Assistant Professor of History position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Assistant Professor of History serves as the primary instructor of history, responsible for instructing students about national, state, local, and global history; performing critical analysis of historical events and figures; and providing context for modern times.
Faculty are responsible to Department Chairs and Deans for the efficient planning, management, and delivery of courses in their respective departments. The responsibilities for this position will include some or all of the following: teaching, student advising, research and creative activities, service, and administrative responsibilities. Responsibilities may also include involvement in off-campus, evening, or weekend duties, as well as student recruitment, retention, and placement efforts.
Because teaching is the fundamental responsibility of each faculty member, all faculty members must participate in this activity.
- Teach general education History Courses
- Coordinate curriculum development and redesign
- Serve as primary student advisor
- Prepare course plans and materials
- Monitor student progress and attendance
- Actively recruit for the University
- Serve on departmental and University committees
- Participate in University activities and other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have a Master’s degree in History, or a closely related field from an accredited university, or a Master’s Degree with 18 hours in the discipline
- Two to three years of successful teaching and instructional design experience
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Computer skills are necessary
- Strong attention to detail is essential
- Online teaching experience
- Prefer teaching experience at college level
- Advocate for students and committed to diversity
- Doctorate from an accredited university
$38,000 - $40,000
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “ Dental Hygiene Program Director” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Dental Hygiene Program Director” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday, June 17, 2021 and continues until the position is filled..
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.