Associate Professor of Engineering
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Wednesday, December 15, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Associate Professor of Engineering position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Associate Professor of Engineering (12-month faculty) serves as a primary instructor of engineering courses, inclusive of classroom theory and hands-on application of engineering principles. Instructional areas taught will be determined by degree specializations and credentials. Faculty are responsible to the Program Coordinator, Department Head and Division Dean for the efficient planning, management, and delivery of courses in their respective areas. The incumbent will fulfill the duties of faculty in the Engineering and Engineering Technology programs (based on advanced degree specialization), teaching, student advising, research and creative activities, and administrative responsibilities. Responsibilities may also include involvement in off-campus, evening, or weekend duties, as well as student recruitment, retention, and placement efforts. The Assistant/Associate Professor of Engineering is expected to assist the University in achieving its vision and mission; focus on customer service, university service, and have a willingness to assist as needed.
Leadership and Management
- Collaborates with faculty, deans, and university staff on initiatives to increase support for Engineering and Engineering Technology students and faculty.
- Submit all reports and requests timely and in the proper form as set forth by the Dean of B-STEM, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Workforce Development, and Chancellor.
- Actively engage in all departmental, divisional, and other meetings, including advisory board and industry events.
- Direct and assess the learning experience of students in accordance with adopted curricula and approved procedures.
- Keep abreast of developments in engineering and engineering technology fields through literature review, external relationships with peers and industry leaders, and professional development.
- Organizes instruction in classrooms and laboratories as evidenced by adequate and clearly stated course outlines, learning objectives, learning outcomes, lesson plans, competency assessments, and instructional materials such as textbooks, instruction sheets, and/or electronic resources available.
- Provide counsel/guidance to students in their learning and educational planning.
- Be available to students via email, phone, and/or personal conferences. The method of contact and hours of availability should be clearly communicated to supervisors and to students through the course syllabus each semester.
- Faculty members may be required to teach evening, summer, online, hybrid and/ or dual enrollment classes.
- Comply with and promote lab safety procedures and processes; suspending unsafe operations when necessary.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A Master’s Degree in Engineering or Engineering-related field is required
- Previous work experience in engineering field
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate knowledge and understanding of ethics
- Strong attention to detail is essential
- Experience creating and implementing student learning outcomes, evaluating student performance and progress through a variety of assessment approaches, the use of classroom technology, online learning, and student-centered learning techniques are preferred.
- The ability to communicate with a diverse population of students, faculty, and staff is a priority.
- Previous college level teaching experience preferably at the community college level.
- Experience in curriculum development and proposal development will be viewed positively.
- A commitment to university service activities.
Salary: Salary Range is $49,000 to $60,000. Compensation will be within this range and commensurate with education and work experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “ Associate Professor of Engineering” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Associate Professor of Engineering” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Wednesday, December 15, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Fine Arts Building, Room C14, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.