Coordinator of Residential Life and Intramural Sports
Review of applications begins Tuesday, December 14, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Coordinator of Residential Life and Intramural Sports position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Under immediate supervision of the Dean of Students and Campus Life, the incumbent is expected to act as a conduit through which student success strategies, practices and services flow from the Center for Student Success to residents of university housing, student activities and intramural programming. The Center for Student Success promotes the development of a holistic approach to student engagement, where student learning outcomes of residential life and intramural programs comport with those of the Center and University strategic plans. The primary liaison function of the incumbent is to ensure that these outcomes are developed and assessed to ensure alignment with the goals and objectives of student success. Primarily involved in creating and fostering a community environment that is focused on student success and student learning, the incumbent is responsible for all of the residential and intramural program’s educational initiatives directed and supported by the Student Government Association, Student Union Board and Department of Student Activities. These responsibilities include the selection, evaluation, and implementation of new and existing living/learning residential programs, and the coordination of all programs and services for students who live in campus housing (Jaguar Courtyard). The incumbent promotes, coordinates, plans, organizes and promotes the activities of Residential Life and Intramural programs that align with the learning outcomes of the Center for Student Success. Due to the unique nature of the position, work cannot easily be translated into hours worked per day or week. This position requires both regularly scheduled responsibilities and availability to Jaguar Courtyard residents.
- Responsible for fostering an environment that encourages sensible conduct choices and personal educational integrity as values of the institution.
- Coordinate various programming in conjunction with Student Engagement Activities, specifically including those supported by Student Government Association/Student Center Board that aid in the development of a positive living/learning environment.
- Coordinate, plan all functions of Residential Life and Intramural Programs including developing/revising student activities that support campus recreation and wellness
- Supervision of events, student staff and facilities related to the intramural sports programs.
- Serve as Student Success Coach for all students in campus housing and intramural sports as well supports freshmen advisement during new student orientation and registration.
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of campus departments/offices, their services and functions, in order to provide academic and personal support. Serve as a resource for information and a referral source as needed.
- Contribute to and support the development of new policies, programs and procedures.
- Conduct residential halls rounds to build relationships with students, confront policy infractions and note facility concerns.
- Understand and uphold all university and residence hall rules, regulations and policies.
- Address and discuss students’ concerns, both individually and in groups.
- Address all policy violations immediately and consistently.
- Understand and maintain familiarity with crisis protocols.
- Coordinate, process and support residential and disciplinary referrals as it relates to campus housing residents and intramural programs.
- Engage in professional growth opportunities to remain current with trends, demands and issues pertaining to electronic-based learning initiatives.
- Evening and weekend work required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Education: Successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. A Master’s degree in Academic Advising, Counseling, Education Administration or related fields from an accredited college or university is preferred.
Job Related Experience: A minimum of 5 years (Bachelors) and 3 years (Masters) of student academic advising experiences of persons enrolled or preparing to enroll in a postsecondary institution; advising/counseling of students who are residence of University dormitory/apartments or in areas such as career planning, education planning is preferred.
Skills and Technology/System Proficiency: exceptional communication skills both oral and writing, specifically including organizational and analytical skills, use of personal computers and demonstrated knowledge of university systems and student programs for registration, student services and financial aid.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Coordinator of Residential Life and Intramural Programs” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Coordinator of Residential Life and Intramural Programs” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Tuesday, December 14, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.