Director of Student Accounts
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Wednesday November 2, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Director of Accounting position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer (CFO), the Director of Students Accounts performs complex and confidential accounting and analytical work for the SUSLA Student Accounts Office. The position requires strong initiative and consistently dependable judgment in assuring compliance with Federal and State laws and policies as well as University policies governing the confidential financial information of students. The Director will provide leadership, training and guidance to staff of the Student Accounts Office to achieve excellence in customer service that is integral with the goals and mission of the department and the University. This position is directly responsible for the successful management of billing and collection of student accounts receivable for a diverse population of students across all campuses. The Director is accountable for the oversight of cash handling responsibilities, operations of the Student Accounts Office, accuracy of the Banner accounting system, assuring security and confidentiality of student information, and assuring that collection efforts are effective and compliant. Work is performed under administrative guidance and performance evaluation is based upon completion of assignments and results obtained. The performance evaluation is conducted through the performance evaluation system and in accordance with the University Policies & Procedures.
Specific duties are:
- Directs operations of the Student Accounts office and maintains effective standards, policies and procedures to assure the accountability and security of all University cash transactions and student financial records.
- Mentors and trains to assure that a competent, efficient and professional staff is continually improving and providing excellent service to internal and external customers.
- Provides an open door and receptive atmosphere that promotes trust and confidence in the University and its financial operations.
- Reconciles all bank deposits and transactions posted to Banner through recapitulation of all end-of-day and end-of-months reports.
- Addresses and resolved a variety of issues and grievances in a calm, professional, and courteous manner.
- Prepares and maintains all tuition and fee invoicing code tables, assessment rules, and billing modules in Banner for assessment of student charges.
- Manages all student related third-party invoicing and collection processes and procedures.
- Assures that all University cash handling complies with University, State, and Federal regulations.
- Ensures accountability of university daily deposits within established departmental guidelines and perform various audits of deposits and supporting documentation.
- Performs timely account analysis and maintain procedures that assure efficient processing for all student refunds in compliance with Department of Education Regulations.
- Ensures the timely production and accuracy of the federal 1098T Tuition Statements.
- Assists in the development and updating of the college's Student Accounting Department Strategic Plan and assures their integration with other major planning efforts within the college;
- Responds to inquiries, resolve issues and conflicts and provides detailed and technical information concerning financial and accounting standards, requirements, practices, procedures, laws, regulations and policies;
- Assists in the development of finance and accounting brochures/handouts and compiles information for future use by students and the general public according to established guidelines;
- Supervises and evaluates the performance of assigned personnel; coordinates the work assignments of assigned personnel; reviews work to assure compliance with established standards, requirements and procedures; takes the necessary steps to ensure smooth and timely service to employees as well as to prospective employees;
- Regularly attends seminars, special conferences and professional meetings as time and budget permit;
- Regularly reads professional publications, articles, books, etc. to maintain knowledge of finance and accounting operations, best practices, policies, laws and regulations;
- Strengthens an environment that fosters creativity, innovation, and professional development among staff;
- Assists as required with the external and internal audit processes.
- Develops and communicates student financial information to various audiences through multiple mediums.
- Monitors Student Accounts website pages to make sure it is accurate and current;
- Occasional evening and weekend work and overnight travel may be required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Five or more years of full-time work experience supervising accounting functions in an education, business, industry or government environment
- Strong analytical and problem solving abilities
- Commitment to integrated management and systems thinking
- Commitment to staff diversity, learning and development
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
Preferred (Desired) Qualifications:
- Seven or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions in a(n) education, business, industry or government environment
- Three or more years of full-time work experience supervising accounting functions at a postsecondary educational institution
- Knowledge of and working experience with Ellucian’s Banner Finance or other major postsecondary education financial management system
Salary Range is $45,000- $52,000
The application can be filled out online at the https://www.susla.edu/ApplicationforEmployment
Please attach cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Wednesday November 2, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Johnetta Banks, Johnny L. Vance Student Activity Center, 2nd Floor/V-210, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.