Director of Student Accounts
Full-time: Review of applications begins Monday,November 20, 2023 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Director of Accounting position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Reporting to the Chief Finance Officer (CFO), the Director of Students Accounts performs complex and confidential accounting and analytical work for the SUSLA Student Accounts Office. The position requires strong initiative and consistently dependable judgment in assuring compliance with Federal and State laws and policies as well as University policies governing the confidential financial information of students.
Specific duties are:
- Oversees the overall operations of student financial services, billing and receivables, and cashiering functions of the university.
- Provides direction and leadership in financial management, fiscal policies review and changes; conducts special studies as required; ensures compliance with university, state, and federal regulations and standard accounting procedures.
- Provides periodic reports of receipts and technical information to the university community and to external funding agencies.
- Recommends and participates in the development of university policies and procedures; may serve on university planning and policy-making committees.
- Encourages customer-oriented staff interaction with students, parents, and administrators.
- Interacts with internal and external auditors, participates in auditing projects, or provides information and access to accounting records as required.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range organizational goals, objectives, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures; monitors and evaluates programmatic and operational effectiveness, and effects changes required for improvement.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains an organizational structure and staffing to effectively accomplish the organization's goals and objectives; oversees recruitment, training, supervision, and evaluation of unit staff.
- Represents the University to various institutional divisions as well as externally to governmental agencies, vendors, students and their parents, and/or the general public.
- Occasional evening and weekend work and overnight travel may be required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, or related field from an accredited college or university
- Three (3) or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions in a(n) education, business, industry or government environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Commitment to integrated management and systems thinking
- Commitment to staff diversity, learning and development
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to identify and secure alternative funding/revenue sources.
- Knowledge of software to quantify and illustrate complex financial reports, comparisons, impacts, and/or projections.
- Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments.
- Outstanding interpersonal and community relations skills and the ability to communicate and work effectively within a diverse community.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Ability to plan, organize, implement, and administer complex recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Knowledge of cashiering and cash management principles, systems, procedures, and standards.
Preferred (Desired) Qualifications:
- Five or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions in a(n) education, business, industry or government environment
- One or more years of full-time work experience supervising accounting functions at a postsecondary educational institution
- Knowledge of and working experience with Ellucian’s Banner Finance or other major postsecondary education financial management system (g., Peoplesoft or Jenzebar)
The application can be filled out online at the https://www.susla.edu/ApplicationforEmployment
Please attach cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Monday,November 20, 2023 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Devonye C. Brown, Fine Arts Building, Suite C-01 (318) 670-9225: Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.