Executive Director of Upward Bound and Talent Search
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Tuesday, November 10, 2020 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Executive Director of Upward Bound and Talent Search Programs. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Executive Director of Upward Bound and Talent Search Programs reports to the Assistant Vice Chancellor for College Access. The Upward Bound and Talent Search Program is a component of the federal TRIO Program to assist low income/first generation students to graduate from high school and enter post-secondary education and the Talent Search program provides academic, career, and financial counseling to its participants and encourages them to graduate from high school and continue on to and complete their postsecondary education. The Executive Director is responsible for the overall implementation of the Upward Bound and Talent Search Program, the day to day operations of their projects including planning, implementing and supervising program Directors of Upward Bound South, Upward Bound Natchitoches, Upward Bound North, Upward Bound Sabine, Upward Bound DeSoto and Talent Search programs. The Executive Director oversees the budgets, assists in developing and directing outreach activities, ensures proper educational programs in collaboration with the respective school districts (tutoring, college/field trips, academic Saturday classes and summer programs), preparing monthly and annual institutional and federal reports, working with key personnel in area of high schools and middle schools to assist program Directors in identifying potential students, working with parents and developing assessments in addition to monitoring vehicles to track participants via the submission of the Annual Performance Report.
This position is grant funded through the US Department of Education and grant writing experience is a plus. Executive Director should be able to guide Directors in ensuring that potential students are matriculating through the program.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as the immediate manager for the SUSLA TRIO Upward Bound and Talent Search Programs operated by the University;
- Prepares and submit TRIO project census and performance reports to University and Department of Education.
- Coordinate the TRIO Upward Bound and Talent Search Programs daily operations, i.e. staff, participants and activities; coordinates with Project Directors in supervision of total operations.
- Assists in developing and directing outreach activities, ensures proper educational programs in collaboration with the respective school districts (tutoring, college/field trips, academic Saturday classes and summer programs)
- Works with key personnel in area of high schools and middle schools to assist program Directors in identifying potential students
- Approves and initial budgetary requests.
- Training professional staff.
- Assures compliance with all regulations and assurances necessary for operation of the SUSLA TRIO Upward Bound and Talent Search Programs Projects.
- Perform related duties as required.
- Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in education, psychology or related field. Qualified applicant should have prior experience with educational programs. Bilingual in English/Spanish is an asset.
- Prior TRIO experience
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Executive Director of Upward Bound and Talent Search” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Executive Director of Upward Bound and Talent Search” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Tuesday, November 10, 2020 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.