General Accountant/Payroll Coordinator
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Thursday, March 11, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the General Accountant/Payroll Coordinator position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Reporting to the Director of Accounting, the General Accountant/Payroll Coordinator is actively engaged in the day-to-day operations of payroll processing and general accounting duties utilizing the Banner System.
Specific duties are:
- Review all employee timesheets for appropriate approvals and submission.
- Compare all leave forms to approved timesheets.
- Verify employee time via PHAHOUR and make necessary corrections.
- Counsel employees and department heads regarding payroll matters, change in payroll forms, and leave application requirements.
- Conduct payroll training for employees and/or departments as needed.
- Participate in new hire orientation and provide necessary payroll related information.
- Establish and maintain files for all employee payroll timesheets and leave forms.
- Prepare and update annual leave reports and Compensated Absences Report.
- Prepare Endowment and various cash reports.
- Perform monthly bank reconciliations.
- Review and validate commissions.
- Perform reconciliation of various general ledger accounts.
- Assist with posting to the chart of accounts.
- Provide reports to departments as needed.
- Assist with the preparation of the Annual Financial Report.
- Understand and identify fraudulent activity.
- Prepare various schedules needed for the annual audit.
- Stay abreast with Banner system changes and upgrades to maximize efficiency related to conducting duties and responsibilities associated with the job.
- Maintain the payroll webpage and keep update with relevant information.
- Participate with divisional meetings, committees, and training opportunities.
- Maintain a high level of customer service.
- Occasional evening and weekend work and overnight travel may be required; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Applicable laws, codes, regulations, policies, and procedures
- Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Title IV and HEA
- National and Regional Accreditation Standards related to Finance and Accounting
- Federal, state and local laws, ordinances, codes, and regulations relevant to the financial management in Louisiana
- Sources and bases of funding for post-secondary educational institutions and programs in the State of Louisiana
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Think “outside the box,” exemplifying flexibility and positive attitude toward change;
- Keep current with, interpret and apply applicable rules, regulations, policies and procedures relating to Finance and Accounting functions
- Function in a multi-campus/site educational organization to promote the goals of the College
- Effectively use technology and computer software programs, including MS Office
- Collect, evaluate and analyze data relating to Accounting functions; recommends options;
- Work collaboratively with other administrative departments and government agencies
- Provide excellent customer service to faculty, staff, current students, prospective students, alumni, business and industry partners, community representatives and other stakeholders
- Work independently with accountability at multiple levels of the organization
- Work positively in a demanding, high volume, fast-paced, team-oriented student service environment
- Excellent written, oral presentation, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organization, planning, and prioritization skills are essential
- Strong diplomacy skills and the ability to make sound judgments
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Three or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions, a(n) education, business and industry or government environment.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, etc.).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Economics or related field from and accredited college or university.
- Five or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions, a(n) education, business and industry or government environment.
- Three or more years of full-time work experience performing accounting functions at a postsecondary educational institution
- Knowledge of and working experience with Ellucian’s Banner Finance or other major postsecondary education financial management system.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Access.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “General Accountant/Payroll Coordinator” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (Note: Please type “General Accountant/Payroll Coordinator” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday, March 11, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.