Instructor of Developmental English
Review of applications begins Wednesday, May 11, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Instructor of Developmental English position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Under the supervision of the Department Chair and Dean of AHSSE, the Instructor of Developmental English is responsible for instructing students in foundational English and integrated reading and writing courses. The instructor develops course objectives, implements teaching strategies, advises students, monitors and evaluates student progress, and keeps accurate student records. In addition, the instructor collaborates with faculty teaching developmental math and the Student Success Center to provide intentional, structured, and proactive strategies to foster holistic student success in a first-year experience. This is the fundamental responsibility of each faculty member; all faculty members must participate in this activity.
- Teach courses in Developmental English according to the workload policy of the University.
- Develop syllabi that clearly outline the course requirements, rationale, goals, and objectives. Submits digital copies of syllabi to the Department Chair.
- Selects textbooks and other resource materials for the class.
- Prepares class sessions and assignments to help students grasp course content and how it integrates with overall student learning outcomes for the course.
- Creates a learning environment that encourages student involvement and participation.
- Documents students’ attendance, participation, and academic progress by giving and grading assignments, projects, quizzes, and examinations that lead to a final grade.
- Submits grades and other University required reports by the assigned dates.
- Maintains posted office hours and participates in University sponsored events.
- Participates in and contributes to curriculum development by planning, developing, and evaluating new and existing courses.
- When called upon, functions as an academic advisor, counseling students about courses, academic sequence, and program selections.
- Participates in faculty meetings.
- Continues professional development and growth.
- Participates in the development and implementation of academic policies, guiding principles, objectives, and functions in accordance with the mission of the University.
- Perform other duties as assigned
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Must have a Master’s degree in English from an accredited university, or a Master’s Degree with 18 hours in the discipline
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Computer skills are necessary
- Strong attention to detail is essential
- Online teaching experience
- Two to three years of successful teaching and instructional design experience at the college level
Advocate for students and committed to diversity
$38,000- $40,000 annually
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Quiana B. Skidmore, Interim Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “ Instructor of Developmental English” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Instructor of Developmental English” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Thursday, May 12, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Johnetta Banks, Johnny L. Vance Student Activity Center, 2nd Floor/V-210, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.