Full-Time: Review of applications begins Monday, November 29, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Outreach Specialist position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
In support of Community Engagement’s enrollment, retention and graduation goals, establishes, and administers programs for recruiting students to WIOA programs. The Outreach Specialist develops and maintains relationships with identified partners within the institution and community. They strategies on opportunities to enhance recruitment efforts and implements identified strategies. The Outreach Specialist provides outreach services to locate WIOA eligible participants and assists them in enrolling in the appropriate SUSLA WIOA program. The Outreach Specialist makes initial contact with partners and potential participates and assists the client in completing and providing any necessary documents and case manages them through the enrollment process. In certain situations, the Outreach Specialist may refer clients to other appropriate health and social services or community resources. They must provide the required documentation in files while participating in outreach, recruitment, and orientation activities. The Outreach Specialist is expected to assist the University/Division in achieving its vision and mission; focus on customer service, accountability, integrity and have a willingness to assist as needed
- Operate within Federal, State, and Local Policy and Procedures under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), as determined by the Department of Labor (DOL) and any other relevant regulation.
- Recruit – outreach and recruit qualified participants into WIOA programs. Recruit by social media, articles, success stories, and organizations announcements, flyers, presentations in classrooms and at organized events, announcements at agency meetings and word of mouth.
- Recruit – Represents the university to targeted constituencies; maintains partnerships between the university, local school systems, alumni networks, faculty, community partners, and other identified groups throughout the assigned territory/population.
- Recruit, enroll, assess, case manage, and develop WIOA participants in WIOA programs.
- Orients participants and partners to the services and eligibility requirements of the WIOA programs in both group settings and individually.
- Enroll – Explain WIOA programs, services, expectations, collect and maintain applicant’s eligibility documents and complete the intake process. Monitoring of services will include, but will not be limited to, eligibility determinations, documentation to support selective service registrations, citizenship, veteran’s status, household size, and other demographic required documentation.
- Monitors participants enrollment goals/outcomes.
- Support WIOA participants with post-secondary education options: campus tours, orientations, academic counseling appointments, financial aid, scholarships, and campus resources including Student Support Services, TRIO, etc.
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with students, parents, schools, community, worksites, and partners; attend/coordinate community events, forums, and other events that relate to the goals and objectives of the program.
- Initiate the case file for all WIOA participants. Maintain case notes, contact dates, activity logs of all eligibility required forms and documents.
- Complete all required reports including weekly, monthly, quarterly, and employer/student evaluations.
- Occasional evening and weekend work. Overnight travel may be required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in business, marketing, mass communication, education, social work, human services, or a related field required. Experience developing and leading informational workshops. Ability to interact positively with a variety of personalities and socio-economic populations. Ability to work in a team environment, meet deadlines, work independently, and provide support to fellow team members is essential. Problem-solving skills, organizational skills, time management skills, and excellent oral and written communications skills are essential. Proficiency in Microsoft 365 applications.
- Two years’ work experience in higher education, business management, counseling, case management, social work, or related field preferred.
Salary Range is $30,000 - $45,000 annually
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “ Outreach Specialist” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Outreach Specialist” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Monday, November 29, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Fine Arts Building, Room C14, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.