Record and Registration Coordinator – Degree Certification
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Monday, March 08, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Record and Registration Coordinator position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Records and Registration Coordinator – Degree Certification is responsible the holistic graduation certification process and athletic eligibility.
This position plans, organizes and manages all of activities related to graduation and degree certification and athletic eligibility, to include:
- Responsible for the holistic graduation certification process to include disseminating graduation-related information to the campus community, processing graduation applications, resolving discrepancies, notifying vested parties of candidates’ graduation status, awarding/posting degrees, completing statistical reports, mailing diplomas to students who did not participate in commencement, etc.
- Supervision and management of graduation certification process and related services.
- Assists the University Registrar and Assistant Director of Records and Registration in the interpretation and application of academic rules and regulations in regards to degree audit and graduation.
- Ensure graduation-related supplies available for each commencement exercise.
- Assists with graduation practice and the distribution of degrees during commencement.
- Assists the Registrar with monitoring catalog changes.
- Identifies students who have submitted applications for graduation and post degree from students who have completed graduation requirements.
- Identifies prospective graduates during the end of term process of each semester.
- Coordinates the annual Graduation Fair.
- Develops degree plans as requested and/or required.
- Coordinates and prepares for the issuing of diplomas and covers to all students, and to students who did not participate in commencement ceremonies.
- Maintains the master database of prospective graduates each semester.
- Verifies diplomas to ensure accuracy prior to distribution.
- Coordinates and prepares current and accumulated graduation count summary to Registrar.
- Coordinates and provides advising and graduation support to faculty, staff, and students.
- Prepares the annual Commencement Guide for students, faculty, staff and students.
- Serves as primary contact for National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) and interprets and applies NJCAA rules while working with NJCAA Clearinghouse, coaching staff, and Athletic Director for NJCAA Compliance.
- Reviews eligibility requirements, curriculum requirements, calculates initial and continuing eligibility, verifies grades and tracks satisfactory academic progress for student athletes.
- Responsible for general office duties to include screening calls, assisting walk-in traffic, the registration process, commencement and other office activities, to include, but not limited to, new student file completion, schedules, official and unofficial transcripts, drops/adds, overloads, withdrawals, grade changes and student data update requests.
- Answers office telephone giving customers general information and routes calls to appropriate office.
- Checks forms and materials for completeness, correctness and the presence of necessary information.
- Ensures the integrity, accuracy and security of all academic records of current and former students.
- Establishes, maintains and updates student records in accordance with policies of AACRAO, FERPA, University Catalog, Board of Regents and Board of Supervisors (e.g., grades, registration, data, maintaining transcripts, mid-term verification, IPEDS, National Student Clearinghouse, etc.)
- Updates office policies and procedures related to areas of responsibility.
- Counsels and advises students, faculty and staff on academic matters.
- Interprets and enforces policies of the University, Board of Regents, Board of Supervisors, and ensures adherence to FERPA regulations.
- Assists with verifying the accuracy of new student files received from the Unit of Admissions and Recruitment each semester.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and three years of general office work experience, preferably in higher education. Additional work experience may be substituted for college on a year-for-year basis.
- Must possess strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organization, planning and prioritization skills are essential.
- Demonstrated understanding of the application of technology to deliver records and registration services. Proficient in Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
- A proven record in working successfully with diverse populations.
- Ability to collaborate effectively with university departments and cross-functional teams.
- Must have a profound interest in working with young adults, positive attitude, ability to plan and adapt to change, customer service oriented, highly motivated, goal oriented, attentive to detail, well organized, and able to manage multiple priorities and work well under pressure.
- Evening and weekend work and some travel are required.
- Familiar with the Ellucian (Banner) Student Information System is preferred.
$30,000 - $35,000 Compensation will be within this range and commensurate with education and work experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Records and Registration Coordinator” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Records and Registration Coordinator” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Monday, March 08, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.