Small Business Consultant
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Tuesday, Novemer 10, 2020 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Small Business Consultant. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Small Business Counseling and Reporting Requirements:
- Interview and assess client need
- Provide counseling or e-counseling that includes feasibility, financial, regulatory, and operational guidance and technical assistance on the various aspects of starting and expanding a successful small business including, but not limited to:
- Analyzing the specific business and industry data in finance, marketing, management and operations
- Providing guidance in the development of business plans and financial packages;
- Calculating and interpreting historical and projected financial ratios;
- Preparing pro forma cash flow and financial statements
- Troubleshooting to identify problems and areas for improvement;
- Providing guidance on expansion to include employment requirements, foreign markets, government contracting, and technology commercialization;
- Conducting quality-based assessments;
- Providing information on federal, state, and local regulations and programs, and
- Providing guidance in loan packaging to pre-venture, start-up, or advanced stage existing businesses.
- Develop a resource network to be used in providing referrals to appropriate resources.
- Plan and market no- to low-cost training on subjects relevant to the small business start-up and growth.
- Recruit government, private and public entities, as well as, businesses and businesspersons to provide voluntary training.
- Evaluate programs’ effectiveness and measure impact of services provided.
- Assist in the transfer of university-based knowledge to the small business community.
- Ensure timely and accurate counseling data input into Center IC client information management system.
- Other duties as assigned by the Center Director.
Program and Small Business Advocate:
- Promote the SBDC program and advocate for small business through presentations to communities and entities.
- Develop relationships with key stakeholders including, but not limited to, SBA, Southern University at Shreveport, banks, chambers of commerce, economic development organizations, trade groups, educational institutes, legislators, and hosts.
- Attend regional and state meetings and conferences as required.
- Develop and provide specific information, reports and/or special services as requested or required by the SBA/LSBDC Administrators, and the Director of the LSBDC.
- Support area, state, and federal research projects concerning small business and disseminate results to the community.
- And other requirements as detailed in the Request for Proposal.
- Bachelor degree in business administration, accounting/finance, marketing, and/or management or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive background in small business consulting, mentoring, and/or counseling, minimum of 5 years is preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Proven leadership and an understanding of issues affecting small business owners.
- Ability to provide business advice to starting or developing companies.
- Demonstrated experience driving business growth through innovation and the implementation of technology.
- An entrepreneurial mindset, able and interested to pursue new business opportunities.
- Customer-service oriented.
- A team player who favors collaborative approaches when working with internal and external partners.
- Able to work collaboratively with diverse leaders, communicate a strategy across all levels of the organization, and build consensus around key initiatives and projects.
- Ability to communicate from a customer perspective, across diverse groups of customers.
- Possesses exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written, able to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Possesses exceptional business acumen, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, can handle the unexpected with flexibility.
- Master’s degree in Finance, Business, or Marketing
- Bilingual – English & Spanish
Salary Range is $45,000- $50,000
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Small Business Consultant” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Small Business Consultant” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Tuesday, November 10, 2020 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.