Social Media and Communications Strategist
Full-time: Review of applications begins Monday, July 10, 2023 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for Social Media & Communication Strategist position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Social Media and Communications Strategist is responsible for developing, executing and managing all aspects of social media for the University. This includes implementing strategies that align with the University's mission to expand its visibility and enhance its reputation online
Specific duties are:
- Develop, execute and manage a Strategic Social Media and Communications Plan of Action that aligns with the University's mission to expand its visibility, enhance its reputation online and promotes enrollment through innovative use of social media platforms.
- Execute social media marketing strategies and campaigns to communicate key themes and messages for all academic and workforce programs, marketing programs, partner engagements, fundraising campaigns and community-building efforts.
- Serve as lead Social Media Administrator for all designated campus social media reps
- Serve as lead Communications Strategist for all print and digital content in cooperation with the Director of Marketing.
- Work with the Office of the Chancellor to create and communicate timely messages on behalf of the Chancellor for posting on all University social media sites to students, faculty, constituents, and the public as designated by the Chancellor
- Serves as university photographer to capture images of major university related events and accomplishments sanctioned by the marketing office and the office of the Chancellor.
- Works with other departments and divisions to develop, proofread and coordinate dissemination of media releases regarding campus, accomplishments, events and activities
- Maintains social media calendar and manages day-to-day social media posts and activities
- Monitors trends, recommends new social media strategies, tools, sites, and applications to ensure content is relevant, timely and grows fan base while increasing engagement.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and divisions to provide strategic social media counsel to internal stakeholders (e.g. senior-level administrators, directors, managers, deans, faculty, staff, students and alumni) to extend SUSLA’s reach and audience.
- Works closely with web team, staff and senior leadership to ensure website functionality as it relates to social media.
- Identify and report reputational threats and inappropriate conversations by flagging negative feedback, criticism of the university and/ or other emerging issues.
- Maintain social media dashboard and corresponding reporting; track metrics and analyze efficacy of campaigns in effort to maximize reach and results.
- Monitor effective best practices for measuring the impact of social media campaigns.
- Supports all other campus and marketing initiatives as needed
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive digital communications, online marketing and/or social media experience.
- Ability to think critically and analytically, understanding the synergies between PR and Social Media and how to integrate accordingly.
- Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and strategies to drive engagement and grow/increase presence across multiple platforms.
- Proficient in posting content and graphics on social media platforms.
- Proficient in promotional writing, content editing demonstrating attention to audience.
- Well versed with computer applications.
- Exercises sound judgment consistently; manages the University’s reputation online responsibly.
- Must be organized, self-directed, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and willingness to work during non-standard business hours.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and the public, and with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Four plus years direct experience creating, executing, and managing social media campaigns and/or strategic marketing in an education or institution of higher education setting.
- Able to create visuals using a handheld camera and edit with graphic design applications or software like Photoshop, Canvas or Spark.
The application can be filled out online at the https://www.susla.edu/ApplicationforEmployment
Please attach cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to application.
Review of applications begins Monday, July 10, 2023 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Devonye C. Brown, Fine Arts Building, Suite C-01 (318) 670-9225: Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.