Social Media Strategist
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Wednesday, March 3, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for Social Media Strategist position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Social Media Strategist is responsible for developing, executing and managing all aspects of social media for the University. This includes implementing strategies that align with the University's mission to expand its visibility and enhance its reputation online.
Specific duties are:
- Develop, execute and manage a Strategic Social Media Plan of Action that aligns with the University's mission to expand its visibility, enhance its reputation online and promotes enrollment through innovative use of social media platforms.
- Execute social media marketing strategies and campaigns to communicate key themes and messages for all academic and workforce programs, marketing programs, partner engagements, fundraising campaigns and community-building efforts.
- Serve as lead Social Media Administrator for all designated campus social media reps
- Work with the Office of the Chancellor to create and communicate timely messages on behalf of the Chancellor for posting on all University social media sites to students, faculty, constituents, and the public as designated by the Chancellor
- Maintains social media calendar and manages day-to-day social media posts and activities
- Monitors trends, recommends new social media strategies, tools, sites, and applications to ensure content is relevant, timely and grows fan base while increasing engagement.
- Works collaboratively with other departments and divisions to provide strategic social media counsel to internal stakeholders (e.g. senior-level administrators, directors, managers, deans, faculty, staff, students and alumni) to extend SUSLA’s reach and audience.
- Works closely with web team, staff and senior leadership to ensure website functionality as it relates to social media.
- Identify and report reputational threats and inappropriate conversations by flagging negative feedback, criticism of the university and/ or other emerging issues.
- Maintain social media dashboard and corresponding reporting; track metrics and analyze efficacy of campaigns in effort to maximize reach and results.
- Monitor effective best practices for measuring the impact of social media campaigns.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Communications, Marketing, Public Relations or related field.
- Minimum 3 years of progressive digital communications, online marketing and/or social media experience.
- Ability to think critically and analytically, understanding the synergies between PR and Social Media and how to integrate accordingly.
- Knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and strategies to drive engagement and grow/increase presence across multiple platforms.
- Proficient in posting content and graphics on social media platforms.
- Proficient in promotional writing, content editing demonstrating attention to audience.
- Well versed with computer applications.
- Exercises sound judgment consistently; manages the University’s reputation online responsibly.
- Must be organized, self-directed, able to work in a fast-paced environment, and willingness to work during non-standard business hours.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and harmonious work relations with faculty, staff, students and the public, and with people from culturally diverse backgrounds.
- Four plus years direct experience creating, executing, and managing social media campaigns and/or strategic marketing in an education or institution of higher education setting.
- Able to create visuals using a handheld camera, and edit with graphic design applications or software like Photoshop.
$28,000 - $34,500 Compensation will be within this range and commensurate with education and work experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, unofficial transcript(s), and three references:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Monday, March 8, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.