Special Assistant for Community & Workforce Development
Review of applications begins Wednesday, May 11, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Special Assistant to (Associate VC-CWD) position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Special Assistant to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Workforce Development is responsible for managing and executing a wide range of administrative, operational, and executive support activities for the Associate Vice Chancellor and CWD Team Leaders. As the principal aide to the Associate Vice Chancellor, this includes coordination and oversight of issues involving community and workforce programs and strategies as well as a full range of operational and logistical duties. The incumbent works concurrently in multiple areas of responsibility, initiatives, and meeting often unforeseen request and deadlines. This position provides coordination between the Associate VC, CWD, CWD team leaders, the Chancellor’s Office, Executive Team, Chancellor’s Cabinet Members, and the other internal and external contacts including the Boards, community organizations, state/federal agencies, employer partners and other stakeholders. This position coordinates the activities of the Offices of AVC-CWD while maintaining confidentiality and integrity.
- Assist the VC-CWD in managing strategic relationships between internal and external constituents, including the overall review, consultation, and decision making process desired by the Vice Chancellor and key stakeholders; assures that information and communication is in accord with those processes and with the most effective operating model for the office. Including coordination with the Vice Chancellors long-range calendars, schedule of agenda for recurring meetings, anticipated retreats and planned speaking engagements
- Tracks and follows up on the progress of a wide range of programs, initiatives, and activities for the Vice Chancellor
- Assesses progress to goals/priorities and takes appropriate action to influence outcomes
- Keeps the Associate Vice Chancellor apprised of status and developments
- Identifies and develops responses and alternatives for the Vice Chancellors consideration and decision based on a thorough and careful analysis of relevant facts conditions and circumstances
- Key responsibility for drafting communications, briefings, major addresses, remarks and presentations for the Vice Chancellor
- Assist with strategic day-to-day leadership and direction of all aspects of the Office of the Vice Chancellors.
- Directs and oversees the administration of policies, procedures and initiatives
- Support the Dean of Workforce Development in the research development, marketing and enrollment management of the Continuing Education schedules.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Three to five years of work experience in college, university or similarly complex organization or an equivalent mixture of post-secondary education and relevant work experience
- Experience reporting to a senior administrator preferred
- Master’s or the equivalent in experience and training
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Quiana Skidmore, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: Special Assistant to the ( Associate VC- CWD) Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Special Assistant to the (Associate VC-CWD)” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Wednesday, May 11, 2022 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age, disability or any other protected class. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Johnetta Banks, Johnny L. Vance Student Activity Center, 2nd Floor/V-210, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Dr. Anjelica Hart, NCR Building, Room 125, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.