Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst
Full-Time: Review of applications begins Monday, March 08, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst position. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
Under immediate supervision of the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Success, the Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst will serve as a full-time staff member in the Student Success Center. The Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst is responsible for the coordination and support of the general, day-to-day administrative, operational and clerical tasks related to the Student Success Center. The Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst will be responsible for the supervision of peer coaches, work study students and volunteers who are performing these day-to-day activities. In addition, Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst is responsible for designing and executing analysis of data related to key performance indicators (KPI’s) of student success. Generally, this responsibility includes the analysis of Student intake data, onboarding processes, risk level designations, difficult course data, early momentum metrics (EMM’s), student/coach transactions and program of study (pathway) navigational data (tracking). The Student Success Specialist and Data Analyst will assist the Assistant Vice Chancellor of Student Success with designing the most effective measurements for new student placement in general education courses, the analytic contribution to certain projects in which Student Success Center plays a vital role, i.e. Title III projects, QEP development and implementation. The incumbent provides student success high impact data to support the Student Success Coaches
- Provide administrative support to the Center for Student Success staff as directed, including the maintenance of Center calendars, collection and compilation of data, preparation of certain correspondence and other materials, operation of standard office equipment (copier/fax machine/scanner), supply ordering and inventory, as well as the processing of requisitions, invoices and other requests.
- Develop research work plans, serve as lead on certain inner office projects, and ensure that Center deliverables to other units throughout the university meet basic research standards.
- Work in partnership with the Information Technology/ Institutional Research and Planning group in automating and improving processes that manage data for analysis and reporting.
- Gather, organize and synthesize data from multiple sources in order to narrate findings and share fact-based, persuasive analyses.
- Develop protocols, administer surveys, facilitate interviews and focus groups.
- Lead key portions of projects such as particular workstreams or work groups.
- Develop and then collaborate with Center staff to finalize PowerPoint presentations, policy memos, briefs, reports, strategy documents and other products drawing from documentation and research work.
- Assist in researching and writing materials for publication.
- Maintains student records and information as needed, as well as assists with necessary tracking using project and university data management systems.
- Coordinates travel and all travel related arrangements (accommodations, conference registrations, etc.) for staff and participating students as well as travel reimbursements.
- As assigned by the Assistant Vice Chancellor, prepares and certifies online payroll for student worker including the collection, processing and auditing of leave forms, and work study timesheets,
- Supports the Assistant Vice Chancellor in monitoring and updating the inventory of all program assets (i.e.: computers, printers, software, textbooks, test materials, etc.).
- Works in collaboration with other Administrative Assistants in the Student Affairs and Enrollment Management Division.
- Works professionally with students seeking services from the Center and observes the confidentiality and privacy of student records, as well as sensitive information in accordance with university policies and procedures
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s degree with at least three (3) years of closely related data analytical work experience.
- Experience with database software, internet research and educational support systems
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills
- Must be able to travel and operate a motor vehicle and feel comfortable driving a 15-passenger van for student trips.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills (ability to meet deadlines).
- Able to build relationships with academic partners.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science related field or business administration
- Working knowledge of student data base systems such as Banner, Student Success systems MOODLE
$32,500 - $38,500 Compensation will be within this range and commensurate with education and work experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: “Student Support Specialist and Data Analyst” Vacancy
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
HResource@susla.edu (NOTE: Please type “Student Support Specialist and Data Analyst” in the Subject line)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications begins Tuesday, March 09, 2021 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Dr. Tuesday W. Mahoney, Johnny L. Vance, Jr. Student Activity Center, Room 208, (318) 670-9201. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Health & Physical Education Complex, Room 314, (318) 670-9367.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.