SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund FAQ's
What is the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund?
The SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund provides emergency aid to students experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This funding is primarily made possible through the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund III (HEERF III), as authorized by the American Rescue Plan (ARP), Public Law 117-2.
Who is/isn’t eligible to receive the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund?
- Students who enrolled in (and not withdrawn from) the Fall 2022 semester as of the census date are eligible to receive the grant.
- Visiting and Cross-Enrolled students (the “Home Institution” is not Southern University at Shreveport) are not eligible.
- Non-degree seeking students are not eligible.
- High School/Dual Enrollment students are not eligible.
- Adult Basic Education students are not eligible.
Do I have to complete a FAFSA to be eligible for the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund funds?
No. Students do not have to have a FAFSA one file but are highly encouraged to do so.
Do I have to be eligible to receive financial aid?
No. Students do not have to be eligible to receive financial aid to receive the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund funds.
Am I eligible to receive the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund if I am enrolled in online courses only?
Yes. Students taking online courses only are eligible.
If I am eligible, how do I apply?
You do not have to apply; however, you must complete the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund Application by September 30, 2022, in order to receive funds in a timely manner.
How much will I receive from the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund?
The following factors are included in determining the amount students will receive:
- The Expected Family Contribution (EFC) from the 2021-2022 FAFSA on file at the time of distribution.
- Fall 2022 semester enrollment status.
How can the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund monies be used?
The emergency grants to students may be used to help cover expenses related to the cost of attendance or for emergency costs that arise due to coronavirus, such as tuition costs (including, but not limited to, covering an existing tuition balance), food, housing, health care (including mental health care), or childcare.
When will I receive the funds?
- You can expect to receive the funds during the month of October 2022.
How will I receive the funds?
Depending on your responses provided in the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund Application, funds will be applied in one of the following ways:
- Applied to pay any account balance (if funds remain after covering your account balance, you will receive a refund for that amount)
- Disbursed directly to you using Bank Mobile (if you have not selected a refund preference with Bank Mobile, contact Student Accounts at 318-670-9305 or via email at bursar@SUSLA.edu to receive a temporary personal code).
Will my financial aid be impacted by receiving the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund monies or any other funds I may be eligible for?
No. This is emergency aid provided to students experiencing financial hardship as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic; it will not be counted against your current or future financial aid package.
Can I use the funds to pay my student account balance?
Yes. Students can choose to have their funds applied directly to any outstanding balance on their student account. When completing the SUSLA CARES Emergency Grant Fund Application, students should select the option to apply funds to pay their account balance. If funds remain after covering your account balance, you will receive a refund for that amount.
Who can I contact if I have additional questions?
If your question is not answered here, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Emails will be answered