Help with ADMISSIONS: Frequently Asked Questions

I.  When can I get my schedule? Where do I get my schedule?  How do I get a schedule?

  • You may get assistance with scheduling in the Student Success Center.

 The SSC is open from 8am-6pm Monday through Thursday and 8am-12 noon on Friday (by appointment only on Fridays).

  • You can schedule your classes as follows:
  1. by going to the SUSLA web page;
  2. click on Banner Web Services;
  3. then select enter secure area;
  4. use your Student Id as your login ID and six-digit birthday as your pin (00/00/00)
  5. then select Student information, grades, and Financial Aid;
  6. select Registration;
  7. and finally select look up classes to add.

II. When do I complete the FAFSA?

  • The FAFSA may be completed the moment you decide to attend college. You can log on to fafsa.org to access the application and obtain additional information.

III. Why are my grades from another college not on my transcript?

  • SUSLA no longer does automatic transcript articulations; therefore, you must complete an articulation request, which includes a completed degree plan from the departmental Dean or Director or appointed representative. These documents along with the applicable official transcript(s) should be returned to the Admissions Office. Please allow up to 30 – 45 days for completion of this process.

IV. Does Admissions request my transcript? Or should I request it?

  • For college transcripts, the student is responsible for requesting an official transcript from previous college or university. (Note: College transcripts are no longer required at Southern University-Shreveport for Admissions purposes. However, the student is strongly encouraged to obtain official transcripts for other purposes that may arise, i.e. financial aid, transfer articulation)
  • For high school transcripts, the student is responsible for requesting an official transcript from your high school, Hiset location, or requesting official GED transcripts/scores.

V. Should I do the immunization waiver or get my shot record?

  • You may submit either document. The immunization waiver can be found online @ susla.edu under Admissions documents.

 VI. Can I complete a paper application?

  • Southern University-Shreveport does not have paper applications. All applications must be completed online via the SUSLA web page.

VII. Do I need test scores? What kind of test scores? Where do I get test scores?

  • First-time freshmen 25 years old and under are required to submit test scores (i.e. ACT, SAT, etal). If the student does not have standardized test scores or have not taken any of the national standardized exams, the student may schedule an appointment with our Testing Center to take the Accuplacer on campus at SUSLA. These test scores are required for placement of the students.

VIII. How do I create a Student Account?

  • A username account (login-ID) is required to access all university services and resources such as email, Moodle, wireless network, and computer access in offices, labs, etc. Login-IDs for students are automatically generated upon the completion of the initial registration and retained as long as they are enrolled at SUSLA.

This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.