Review of applications begins Friday, June 07, 2018 and continues until the position is filled.
Southern University at Shreveport, Louisiana (SUSLA) is accepting applications for the Cataloger/System Administrator. SUSLA is a comprehensive community college serving Shreveport, Bossier City, and surrounding areas in Northwest Louisiana. It is one of five campuses constituting the Historically Black Southern University System. The University serves approximately 3,000 undergraduate students and offers 32 undergraduate degrees and certificate programs in a variety of fields including Allied Health, Nursing, Aerospace Technology, Business Studies, Behavioral Science/Education and Science & Technology.
The Cataloger/System Administrator is responsible for a variety of complex technical and specialized library functions in relations to the preparation of bibliographic and item records for library material, and maintenance of the Library’s web pages; provides technical support for databases accessed via the web.
Specific duties are:
- Perform original descriptive and subject cataloging for various library materials in a variety of subject fields;
- Determine appropriate guidelines in applying rules of Anglo-American Cataloging Rules, Library of Congress subject heading policies
- Creates or imports, from the OCLC system bibliographic records creating any associated records as needed and loads the records into the Library automated system.
- Responsible for the design, development, and implementation of the automated library system
- Assist students and faculty in use of the automated library system
- Submit required reports to the Library Director
- Serve on University Committees and participate in Professional development
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Must have a MLS Degree by an accredited institution
- Knowledge of cataloging practices & procedures
- Knowledge of EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS)
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Ability to communicate with people in a professional manner.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Flexibility and willingness to embrace change
- At least one year of experience with original and copy cataloging, preferably in an academic or research library
$45,000 – $50,000
Send cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and three references to:
Wayne H. Bryant, Director of Human Resources
ATTN: Cataloger/System Administrator
Southern University at Shreveport
3050 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive
Shreveport, LA 71107
Southern University at Shreveport does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, age or disability. Title IX Coordinator: Ms. Tilisha T. Bryant, Administration Building, Room A-43, 318.670.9210. Section 504 Coordinator: Ms. Jerushka Ellis, Fine Arts Building, Room C04 D, 318.670.9473. Veteran status and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform duties.
Criminal background check and reference verification is required.
Southern University at Shreveport, an institution within the Southern University and A & M System, seeks to provide quality education for its students, while being committed to the total community. This institution prepares students for careers in technical and occupational fields; awards certificates, diplomas and associate degrees; and offers courses and programs that are transferable to other colleges and universities. Dedicated to excellence in instruction and community service, this open enrollment institution promotes cultural diversity, provides developmental and continuing education, and seeks partnerships with business and industry.