The Dental Hygiene program of Southern University at Shreveport awards an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Dental Hygiene.
Dental Hygienists are especially knowledgeable about the preventive aspects of dental disease. It’s an especially relevant career as people are living longer and keeping more of their own teeth. In SUSLA’S Dental Hygiene Program, students will be educated in the basic sciences and development of the clinical skills needed to provide preventive dental care to the public.
The Dental Hygiene program is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at 312-440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611.
Admissions are determined annually during the Spring Semester. Admission to the program is by competitive application.
The Dental Hygiene program offers clinical instruction in its educational program as required by the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
- Obtain application form for the dental hygiene program and complete by March 31st of the year admission is sought.
- Arrangements must be made to have official transcripts sent by each college attended. These should be sent directly to the dental hygiene program by March 31st of the year in which admission to the program is sought.
- A personal interview with the Dental Hygiene Admissions Committee is required.
- Two confidential recommendations must be submitted directly to the Dental Hygiene program. At least one recommendation by one of applicants’ instructors.
- Students must complete a minimum of 12 semester credit hours at Southern University at Shreveport. No exceptions will be made to this regulation.
- Students must have earned a minimum of a 2.8 uncorrected cumulative grade point average (4.0 scale) in all previous college course work.
- Students must have earned a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average (4.0 scale) in the required science courses for the program.
- All selections will be made after the end of the Spring semester, once a year.
- Students admitted to the dental hygiene program will be bound by all rules and regulations set forth by Southern University at Shreveport and the Dental Hygiene Program. Failure to do so will result in dismissal from the program.
- An official copy of the candidate’s scores on the Test for Essential Academic Skills (TEAS TEST).
- Completion of BIOL 200, 215, 220, 222; CHEM 130 courses within the 5 years prior to the semester of application to the dental hygiene program.
Student must complete the following prerequisite courses by the end of the Spring semester at the time the application is submitted to the dental hygiene program. A grade of “C” or better is required in these courses:
Please see your advisor or University Catalog for more information.