Center For Student Success (CSS)
At the heart of the Student Success Center are two core beliefs:
- Every student can thrive at SUSLA.
- There are as many definitions of student success as there are Jaguars.
The Student Success Center partners with students as they transition to and through college. Using a holistic, individualized approach, the Student Success Center coaches and connects students to resources and collaborates with campus partners to ensure every student has the tools to reach their goals. We create space for students to ask for help, to make mistakes, and to figure out a plan to get back on track. The central component of the first year experience (FYE) is an academic advisement program that combines career coaching with academic advising to form an intrusive advisement approach to address the needs of entering freshmen.
Our support takes different forms, tailored to the individual student and includes things like:
- Discussing time management tools & referrals to tutoring
- Sharing tips on how to navigate the course registration system
- Celebrating students’ accomplishments or milestones
- Responding to faculty concerns about a student's progress
- Tackling financial aid questions including sharing opportunities to assist with college expenses
Our work involves removing barriers and helping students identify a constellation of supports (Felton & Lambert, 2020) so that they experience SUSLA as a place where they can thrive.
The Student Success Center strives to identify university barriers to achieving student success and facilitate institutional initiatives to address them to improve student experiences and close performance gaps.