International Steps

Welcome to SUSLA

Welcome to Southern University at Shreveport (SUSLA) a certified Student and Exchange Visitor (SEVP) approved school Authorized to serve F l (Associate Degrees) and M 1 (Vocational/Certificate) International students by the Department of Homeland Security

International Student SEVIS Enrollment Resources:

Prospective and current F or M students can use information on this page to learn about the process and rules for studying in the United States as an international student.

Apply to Southern University at Shreveport (SUSLA)

APPLY: International Admission Process
For more information about how to apply, please contact the Office of Admissions at 318-670-9426 or email

Click Apply Now

Complete the International Admission Application if you are an nonimmigrant/non-citizen only.

Office of Admissions webpage
Please submit the following documents to the Office of Admission for review and acceptance can be offered.
  • An Application for Admission from the prospective student
  • A $30 non-refundable, application fee. A postage and handling fee may be required for mailing the I-20 and acceptance documents.
  • Prospective student must submit their official high school or/and college academic records
  • Proof of Immunization  
  • An original official high school transcript must be presented to the International Student Advisor who will certify its authenticity. Originals may not be returned.
  • Test Scores
  • Financial Ability Documentation 
  • SUSLA Tuition and Fees  
    I-20 will not be issued until students are officiall accepted through email communications.

Obtain a form I-20

  • OBTAIN A FORM 1-20 (DSO approved) by emailing a SUSLA Designated SEVIS Official (DSO). DSOs work at SEVP-certified schools and are there to help you understand and follow the rules for studying in the United States. It is important that you know who your DSO is and how to contact them at SUSLA Multicultural and International Affairs

    DSO: Calvin Lester, Director of Multicultural and International Affairs
    Office: 318-670-9211
    calvinlester@whats app
    PSDO: Dr. Tuesday Mahoney, Assistant Vice Chancellor for College Access
    Officer: 318-670-9201
  • ACCEPTANCE: Submit: Acceptance and all Transfer documents (if applies) must be complete with the Office of Admissions , please contact the Office of Admissions at 318-670-9426 or email
  • TRANSFERS: SUSLA SEVIS Transfer Form if transferring from another authorized SEVIS school.
  • GLOBAL MAIL-OUT: A postage and handling fee may be required for mailing the I-20 and acceptance documents. Set up an eShipGlobal account for all mailing needs. STUDENT MAY HAVE A SPONSOR PICK-UP DOCUMENTS LOCALLY IF APPROVED BY DSO.
  • What is Form I-20? Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” The Form I-20 is an important document that you should keep safe, as you will need it throughout the international student process.
  • What is a designated school official (DSO).
  • Bring Your Dependents As an F-1 international student, you may bring your spouse (for example, husband, wife, legal partner) and children with you while you study in the United States. However, they will also need to receive a Form I-20 from your DSO and follow specific rules while they are here. Visit the Dependents page for more information about bringing family to the United States.

Orientation & Registration

The Multicultural and International affairs requires all student to register for 12 hours (face to face) course or more each semester through an advisor. International student may only take online course if they have fulfilled the full scheduled requirements, must be approved the DSO.

Click for Orientation: International Check-In
Schedule with an Academic Coach: Virtual Advisement Form 
Registration Resources:
Advisement Center: Center for Student Success   
Explore SUSLA Academic Programs
Student Banner (Student Portal)
Academic Calendar
Academic Catalog
Access Online Moodle Courses
Moodle Help Desk ( Password Reset )
IT Help Desk
Registrar's Office Center
Registrars Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Request at Transcript
Registrars Forms
International (Visiting) Summer only registration: Contact Registrar Office

 Pay Your I-901 SEVIS Fee

SEVIS Resources:
  • Remember to keep your I-901 SEVIS Fee payment receipt and be sure to check that the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) identification (ID) number on the receipt matches the SEVIS ID number that appears on your Form I-20.
  • SEVIS Help Hub: Please contact SEVPif the SEVIS ID number on these two documents does not match, or if you encounter other issues in the process.

Prepare for my arrival

  • Apply for a U.S. Visa
    After being accepted to SUSLA Acceptance Letter, I-20, getting a receipt for payment for the I-901 SEVIS Fee, you can apply for a visa at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
  • Visit the U.S. Department of State’s website for more information about applying for an F-1 visa.
  • Find your nearest embassy or consulate by visiting the U.S. Embassy website.
  • Getting to the United States 
    Once you receive your visa, check to make sure that you received the right type of visa (F-1) and that your name and date of birth are correct and match the information in your passport. Remember that a student visa does not guarantee entrance into the country, but it does give you permission to arrive at a U.S. port of entry.
  • Forms Before Entering the States
    •  Form 1-20 (DSO)
    • SEVIS I-901 Form, “Remittance for Certain F, J and M Visa Nonimmigrant 

Arrive at a U.S. Port of Entry

You may enter the United States up to 30 days before your official program start date listed on your Form I-20. When you arrive at the U.S. port of entry, you will meet a U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer who has the authority to admit or deny your entrance into the country. You must present the CBP officer with your Form I-20, as well as your valid visa and passport. It is also a good idea to have your acceptance letter from your SEVP-certified school, your evidence of financial support and the name and telephone number of your DSO. Be sure to keep these documents and information in your carry-on luggage, as you will not be able to access any of your checked baggage until after you pass through the U.S. port of entry.

A CBP officer may direct you to secondary inspection and interview you further to determine if you may enter the United States. If you do not have all your documents or if the officer cannot verify your information, they may deny you entry into the country or issue you a Form I-515A, “Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor.” If you receive a Form I-515A, you must work with your DSO to respond to it within 30 days. Visit the What is the Form I-515A? page for more information.

  • Receive a form I-94 If CBP admits you into the country, they will give you an admission stamp in your passport and issue an electronic Form I-94, “Arrival and Departure Record." The Form I-94 includes information about when you were admitted, what status you must maintain (F-1) and how long you can stay in the United States. The CBP officer will inform you where to find your electronic Form I-94. You should verify that the “Admit Until” date on your Form I-94 and admissions stamp on your passport lists “D/S” (that means, Duration of Status) and not a specific date. For more information about the Form I-94 and the arrival process in the United States, visit the CBP website.

Maintain Your Status 

APPLY: International Admission Process

While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your status which relates to the purpose or reason for why you want to come to the United States. As an F-1 student, your primary purpose for coming to the United States is to complete a full course of study at an SEVP-certified school. This means you must not take any action that detracts from fulfilling this purpose and follow the regulations associated with studying in the United States.

KNOW THE RULES (SUSLA requires Full 12 Hours Schedule each term)

Know about F or M Student Benefits 

Contact a DSO

Federal laws and regulations require the Designated School Official (DSO) to update and maintain the SEVIS records of nonimmigrant students in F and M visa categories. A DSO also helps international students avoid problems by advising them on how to follow required processes. Your DSOs are here to help YOU!!

DSO: Calvin Lester, Director of Multicultural and International Affairs
Office: 318-670-9211
calvinlester@whats app


PSDO: Dr. Tuesday Mahoney, Assistant Vice Chancellor for College Access
Officer: 318-670-9201
PSDO:Patrick Whitley, Office of Admissions

This website uses cookies to ensure site visitors get the best experience on our website. By continuing to use this site, you accept our use of cookies and Privacy Statement. To find out more, please visit Southern University's Privacy Statement.

I agree